In recent ten years, Chinese people seem to be more and more taboo about the number of 4. The reason is that 4 is homonymous with “death”. However, this homophonic sound is a little inexplicable. It can’t catch up with Mandarin at all. One Qusheng and one trisyllabic sound. The difference between this sound is based on a thousand reasons. The reason is that this fallacy originally originated from the dialect pronunciation of a certain place in modern South China. For the dialect, if the pronunciation is not correct, 4 and “death” are easy to pronounce the same sound. For areas with the same pronunciation, the taboo of 4 is excusable because it takes care of the weakness of human nature, while Mandarin speakers follow suit and regard 4 as an unlucky number. Does it make people feel incomprehensible? We have consulted a large number of ancient Feng Shui documents and combed the etiquette, customs and traditions of North and South China. We have never found that “four” is an unlucky number. In fact, 4 has been an auspicious number specially selected by our ancestors from 10 numbers since ancient times. There has been the saying of “Xi Si” in Chinese folk custom since ancient times, which is often connected with wealth, luck and auspiciousness without any disaster. Here’s the evidence one by one.
1、 From the font of “four”: the hall is full of children and grandchildren and the population is prosperous
1. The Chinese character “Si” is a small “Er” surrounded by railings on all sides. It is protected like a baby. It is flat and stable, which means that the square house is full of children and grandchildren and the population is prosperous. Whose house can leave the number “four”? The primary requirement for building houses is “stability”, so “four” has been the auspicious number of houses since ancient times.
2. The Arabic numeral “4” is like a flag. It is the flag and benchmark in all numbers. “0 is like an egg, 1 is like a pencil, 2 is like a duckling, 3 is like an ear, 4 is like a flag, 5 is like a hook, 6 is like bean sprouts, 7 is like a sickle, 8 is like handcuffs and 9 is like a tadpole”. This is the nursery rhyme taught by kindergarten teachers when we were young. Which number has 4 good pictograms?
2、 “Four” is homophonic: sacred, peaceful and inheritance
Homophony is a figure of speech that uses homophonic or near phonetic conditions of Chinese characters to replace the word with homophonic or near phonetic words to produce poetic interest. What is easily accepted by the common people is “homophony”.
1. The word “Temple” with the same four homonyms is basically interpreted as:
(1) Ancient official office name: Taichang ~ (the official office in charge of the rites of the ancestral temple in ancient times). Honglu ~ (slightly similar to the modern Protocol Department).
(2) The place where Buddhist monks live: Buddha ~, ~ view.
(3) Islamic places of worship and Preaching: halal ~.
From the meaning of the above temple and the function of the temple for thousands of years, the temple has always been associated with holiness, harmony and peace. It is a place where people beg for peace and happiness, because it worships the gods who can bless them, such as the world-famous Shaolin Temple and Lingyin Temple, which have been burning incense for thousands of years. One is homophonic and the other is homophonic. So which blood relationship is 4 closer? It goes without saying. If you have to associate 4 with death, then the temple will be doomed. Shaolin Temple and Lingyin Temple are all called Shaolin death and Lingyin death. Then people will go to these places for tourism, incense and pilgrimage to seek death? (this paragraph quotes the blog post of “4 is an auspicious number” in 2009.)
2. The homonym “Si” is basically interpreted as:
(1) Succession: (original meaning: princes pass the throne to their eldest son)
Heir King (successor king); Heir (successor monarch); The heir (the successor to the throne); Heir (succession to the throne); Heir to the throne; Heisheng (the newly succeeded emperor); Si Lin (succeeding to the throne)
(2) Descendants: heirs. Heirs.
If the 4 is not auspicious, will our ancestors let the son “heir” be homonymous with 4? According to some people’s random contact, the heir is also homonymous with “death”. When an heir appears, should the offspring disappear? How can there be us Chinese people?
3、 “Four” words: in pairs, four happiness to get rich
In China, “four” has always been an auspicious number specially selected for use. For thousands of years, it has often been associated with divine auspiciousness and pairing. The jade emperor has four heavenly kings; The Tathagata has four Dharma protectors and four Bodhisattvas; Taoism has four merit Cao. There are countless auspicious words with four, auspicious rites and customs. To cite a few examples:
1. Four character idiom:
As we all know, idioms are a major feature of Chinese culture and the essence of Chinese culture. Most of them are composed of four characters, and there are countless auspicious idioms with four characters, such as: stable in all directions, getting rich in four seasons, rising in all directions, tranquil in all directions, extending in all directions, all over the world, becoming famous all over the world, full of beauty in four seasons, radiating in all directions, having a clear vision in all directions, mountains and mountains, all corners of the world, all corners of the world, three friends and four friends And so on.
2. Etiquette and customs
Fourth, in China’s traditional folk customs, it means pairing and good luck.
(1) China’s traditional wedding etiquette.
There must be four kinds of red dates, red sorghum, red candles and red cloth and silk on the gift table. The bride pays attention to wearing four pieces of red clothes, red trousers, red shoes and red socks, implying that “four reds and four joys” have food, clothing and prosperity; When the children get married, they put red dates, peanuts, longans and chestnuts in the dowry, on the hot Kang and in the quilt corner, which means giving birth to a noble son early; At the banquet, in order to celebrate the bride and groom’s wedding, you should drink eight glasses of wine first, which is called “four reds and four joys”; Essential dish: four happiness balls.
(2) The Millennium banquet continues to this day.
In northern China, the highest courtesy for entertaining distinguished guests is the “April 8th” banquet. “April 8th” banquet has a long history, and it is still a necessary banquet for civil dignitaries to visit or celebrate weddings. There are 24 dishes at the April 8th banquet. Namely: four berth table, four pressure table, two large pieces, eight bowls, four small bowls and two cakes. The “April 8th” banquet is said to be “four reds and four joys, eight parties to wealth and stability”.
(3) In Taiwan and southern Fujian, even numbers are generally the best. Even numbers such as 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 are good numbers. 2 is in pairs, 4 is in pairs, and the habit of sending gifts is combined into four kinds, which is called “four styles”; There is a saying of “good four” in Southern Fujian, which means good momentum, smooth and satisfactory work. The fourth is a good omen.
4、 “Four” to brand: privacy, security, stability and harmony
China’s residential buildings pay most attention to Feng Shui. Although there are buildings of various shapes, the most common and firm houses in the world that are most suitable for home and most in line with Feng Shui are “square and square, with no shortage of four corners”, that is, square or rectangle. Under the word “room” in our Chinese character is a square, which means that only when the house is built in four directions can it be stable and firm, and the quadrangle courtyard, which has been built for more than 3000 years, is far away